Duties & Responsibilities
- Orders groceries and prepares meals to serve to crew on vessels.
- Plans a menu, taking advantage of foods in season, available locally, and cost efficient.
- Supervises catering and galley staffs and its operation for all food preparation.
- Carries out duties as directed by Captain during emergency drills.
- Maintain accurate records of all stocks and usage.
- Ensures that all work areas under his jurisdiction comply with all industry accepted guidelines and relevant regulations, maintaining sanitation, health, and safety standards in work area.
- Ensures sufficient food stocks are maintained onboard the vessel.
- Washes pots, pans, dishes, utensils, and other cooking equipment.
- Operates large-volume cooking equipment such as grills, deep-fat fryers, or griddles.
- Assist in the loading and unloading of groceries
- Ensure that the refrigeration equipment is kept at the correct temperature for the provisions stored in them
Certification requirements (all must be valid):
1. Cook’s Certificate of Competency or Ship’s Cook part 1 and part 2
2. Food Hygiene/Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP)
5. STCW 2010 – Basic Safety Training Certificate (BST)
6. Medical Care/First Aid
7. Navigational Watch Rating Certificate
8. Seaman’s Discharge Book